The Wizard and I.: Birthday

Monday, March 26, 2018

Birthday

On my 20th I didn't do much. I didn't feel much either, maybe because it was a Monday, and Mondays are sad days in general. Even if there are no classes, commitments, or deadlines, there is something in the monday air that sits weirdly in my chest. Do you feel?? Anyway, I ALSO had classes, deadlines and practice on the Monday that was my birthday.

I've never been a fan of birthdays - to me, it's a nice way to celebrate one's existence thus far especially with those who matter. But I don't really like how this whole birthday thing has been blown up and commercialized, much like Mothers' Day, Valentine's or Christmas, to become an event where gifts are expected and the guestlists are a parade of one's social circles. So I guess it can feel really bad especially if people who doesn't make friends easily for whatever reasons - which definitely happens - begin to feel upset on their birthday when no one (by this I really mean the "friends" they thought mattered) remembered it - due to these social norms surrounding Birthdays. I rather that I know my birthday is personal to me, not announce it save for my friends who remember, and spend it with my parents - whose lives definitely changed when I decided to pop out at 6.30am after half a day of labour... 20 years ago...

Since I had to practice on Monday, I went out with my parents on the Sunday before. My mother wanted to treat me to something nice but I'm kind of a cheapo so... we eventually settled on some "high tea" for two at Arteastiq. It was my first time having a rich tai tai's tea although I know this is already a more accessible option for us lesser mortals. It was a really nice selection of desserts and savory snacks with a drink, and the teas and coffees were already very substantial by itself, all for about $20 per person. I really enjoyed my meal there, and my mum and I couldn't stop taking pictures and pretending to be atas, high SES and all.




After which, we went shopping around before meeting my dad for a dinner at PS Cafe, which I heard lots about. The food was really amazing but really, my heart still couldn't tank the price. Thank goodness my mother and I were not big eaters, so we shared an appetizer and main. It was a really good meal too, my heart and belly are full!


On the next day when I went to school for morning LARC, I took the usual route from botans to block B. This is a route I had taken many times, and really, there is nothing special about this route except for times when wild animals trod into your path - once, I heard really loud stomping and realised two of the resident black swans were waddling towards me (it was scary ok, they were more than half my height up close), or the monitor lizards that will dash across the red brick path to the amusement of passersby. But that day, I was pleasantly surprised to see a beautiful blooming of bougainvillea over the wooden benches area and it was really such a sight to behold, a more brilliant-than-usual shade of pink contrasting the sky. It was a sight that I could have easily taken for granted if I didn't bother to look up from my phone. There is nothing extremely significant about this but it made me smile - thanks, universe!



While these events didn't happen on my actual birthday, I was heartened to be caught among celebrations by friends who liked to surprise people with cakes. On the Wednesday following my birthday, I completed a concert, and came out of backstage to my batchies who gave me so so so much cake. Including Edwin's bakes: the thought of Edwin even baking anything is ???!!

As I went back to Tembu that night, I was also in wonderful company on the way back (thanks, for sheepishly wishing me "happy birthday" days ago). When I reached the comfort of my room, I was chilling (with my red lippie and all) when my suitemates decided to burst through my door (OK, technically the door was open, but they sure were quiet about bringing a lighted candle to me) and one of my suitemates, Tammy, even surprised me on facetime. TECHNOLOGY, YOU ARE AMAZING. And the whole time, I didn't know that my schoolmates wanted to do something for me too. That Saturday, Xin Hui and I were chionging the combined part of our memo in school and she sneakily asked me what kind of cake I liked (am a red velvet cream cheese wh0re).

And then as LARC the following monday came to a close, my normal and extremely unhappening professor would look expectantly at the door, only for Nadine to come into our classroom with a homemade, tiered, self-frosted red velvet cake. Monday to next, we have come a full circle.

I honestly cannot be more grateful. Thank you, for celebrating my existence.

No comments :

Post a Comment